- After-sun skincare is crucial for repairing and nourishing your skin after sun exposure.
- Symptoms of sunburn include redness, pain, swelling, and skin peeling.
- Proper after-sun care involves pre-sun preparation, cool baths/showers, avoiding homemade remedies, and using effective after-sun products like the Over Exposed concentrate.
- Staying out of the sun while sunburned and staying hydrated are key for recovery.
- Tropic Labs offers a complete after-sun skincare system to help your skin recover and stay radiant.
After a day in the sun, your skin deserves some extra TLC to recover and rejuvenate. We understand the importance of after-sun skincare that goes beyond just soothing sunburns. Our mission is to provide you with a complete sun care system that prepares, protects, and restores your skin before, during, and after sun exposure. In this blog post, we'll guide you through expert advice and our top products to help you repair and nourish your skin after a day under the sun.
What Are The Symptoms of a Sunburn and What is Considered a Bad Sunburn?
Sunburn can be uncomfortable, to say the least. The most common symptoms of mild sunburn include:
- Darkening of the skin’s color, ranging from pink to red
- Skin that feels hot to the touch
- Pain, swelling, and itching
- Flu-like symptoms including chills, fever, nausea or vomiting
- Skin loss (or peeling) that takes about 3 to 7 days after exposure to begin
- Fluid-filled blisters that may itch and eventually pop to reveal even more tender skin beneath.
It's important to monitor your sunburn for signs of a severe burn, including blistering or peeling, and feverish symptoms. If you experience other or more severe symptoms, it may be time to call the doctor, to find a medical treatment that is right for you.
What Is My Skin Trying To Say?
- When your skin is red, it means there is some sort of damage occurring, so the body directs more blood to the affected area to repair the damage. In this case, your skin needs fast-acting calming, and soothing ingredients such as in Tasmanian Pepper Extract, and Sea Berry Seed Fruit Oil.
- When your skin is inflamed and sore it needs antioxidants that can rapidly reduce inflammation and soothe discomfort, we prefer Acai Oil & special calming neuropeptides.
- When your skin feels like it could use a cup of water because of how dry it feels after sun exposure, it means it had some free-radical damage and it needs a lot of rehydration and repairing.
How Do You Make a Sunburn Go Away Quickly?
1. Pre-Sun Preparation
Prevention is the most vital step. The undeniable rule of thumb is to never skin on SPF. We prefer non-nano zinc oxide formulas, but ultimately, the best sunscreen for you is the one you are going to willingly reapply constantly.
Check out our Mineral Tanning Sunscreen, Smart Screen, made with non-nano zinc oxide and sea berry seed oil, which shields your skin from harmful UV rays while allowing you to tan smarter and darker.
It’s also important to make smart sun care decisions such as avoiding High UV Index ratings on the UV scale, seeking for shade, staying hydrated, and protecting your sensitive areas with hats or protective clothing.
2. Staying out of the sun while you are sunburned.
Staying out of the sun allows your skin to recover and reduces the risk of additional damage.
3. Keeping hydrated to avoid dehydration.
Sun exposure can lead to dehydration as the heat from the sun causes excessive sweating, which depletes the body's moisture levels. Dehydration can make your skin feel dry, tight, and more prone to peeling. By staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water, you help replenish lost fluids and maintain optimal skin hydration. This is important for promoting skin health and preventing dryness and discomfort after sun exposure.
4. Take a Cool Bath or Shower
After spending time in the sun, it's tempting to jump into a long, hot shower. However, a cool bath or shower is more beneficial for your skin. Avoid bath salts, oils, and perfumes because these may produce skin reactions.
Hint: Remember to avoid drying soaps or body washes that contain sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Opt for a high-quality cleansing oil that contains nourishing and hydrating oils. We love to recommend our Washed Up All-In-One Shower Oil because it is enriched with hydrating and soothing ingredients such as algae extract, monoi, and sweet almond oil. This gentle cleanser will leave your skin feeling refreshed and nourished.
5. Ditch the homemade remedies
“Butter heals sunburns!” - Grandmas around the world.
Using butter to treat burns is an old folk remedy that has been around for centuries. However, when your skin has been burned (from the sun or otherwise) it’s really important to immediately soothe inflammation to reduce pain, swelling, and potential long-term damage. Using butter, salves or heavy ointments can actually trap excess heat in the skin, leading to further inflammation and delayed recovery.
6. Avoid Useless Aloe Vera
While aloe vera is often associated with after-sun care, many of these products on the market are ineffective. Most contain high percentages of alcohol that can dry out your skin further and lidocaine that only provides temporary numbing. Instead, opt for products like Over Exposed that actively replenish and benefit your skin.
7. Topically Treat The Area With An After-Sun Concentrate
Our After-Sun Concentrate, Over Exposed, is a game changer. Packed with Tasmanian Pepper extract and calming neuropeptides, this product provides instant soothing, calms inflammation, reduces redness, and alleviates discomfort. Its unique formula targets three major issues associated with sunburn: redness, soreness, and dryness.
The Bottom Line
Taking care of your skin after sun exposure is just as important as protecting it beforehand. At Tropic Labs, we provide you with the necessary tools to repair and nourish your skin. Embrace a post-sun routine that includes cool baths or showers, hydrating products, and our expert-approved After-Sun Concentrate, Over Exposed. By following these steps, you can ensure your skin stays healthy, hydrated, and beautifully radiant even after a day in the sun.
Remember, your skin deserves A Little Island Time, Anytime. Take the time to care for your skin and enjoy the benefits of a complete after-sun skincare routine. Visit our website to explore our range of sun care products and start giving your skin the love it deserves.